Resource efficient construction makes best use of materials, water and energy over the lifecycle of built assets to minimise embodied and operational carbon.
Resource efficient construction prioritises carbon reduction by:
- reducing materials consumption and wastage;
- increasing re-use and recycled content (including enabling re-use and recyclability at end of life);
- using products / resources with lower embodied carbon and embodied water, and no scarcity or source security issues;
- optimising durability and lifespan;
- reducing energy and water use during construction; and
- enabling energy efficiency and water efficiency in use.
Resource efficiency can be achieved by using resources at their highest potential throughout the lifecycle – in product manufacture, design, construction, operation, refurbishment, and at end of life.
Resource efficient construction benefits from co-ordinated supply chain action utilising effective resource management planning. It is supported by innovative processes such as BIM, Lean, offsite construction and logistics solutions and can deliver cost savings and reduce business risk.