WRAP’s design reviews and follow-up support aimed to help leading electrical retailers and brand manufacturers make their own products more durable, repairable and resource-efficient, and ensure this could be achieved within their objectives, such as price-point.
Our design reviews used product teardown to investigate opportunities where product re-design could improve profit, reduce costs and reduce environmental impact. Opportunities for improvement focus on:
- Durability to reduce product returns - Investigating the components that may fail and lead to product returns, and their causes;
- Direct material savings - Reducing the quantity of material used in product and packaging, and increasing recycled content through design simplification or component substitution; and
- Design for assembly and repair - Improving manufacturing or repair efficiencies through design changes.
Previous design reviews have delivered:
- Television model: £180,000 and 600 tonnes of CO2e (per 100,000 units) savings identified.
- Microwave: £320,000 and 300 tonnes of CO2e (per 100,000 units) savings identified.
- Washing machine: £550,000 and 740 tonnes of CO2e (per 100,000 units) savings identified.
- Vending machine: £140,000 and 600 tonnes of CO2e (per 1000 units) savings identified.