Digestate is a by-product of the anaerobic digestate process and is a useful source of nutrients which can be applied to land as a biofertiliser or in combination with other organic materials to improve soil quality.
In 2012-14 WRAP funded a series of field experiments and demonstration trials which examine the technical and commercial viability of using digestate (biofertiliser) in landscape and regeneration applications. The trials included the use of digestate in energy cropping on post-industrial land; and in sports turf maintenance and turf production.
A key objective of the demonstration trials and field experiments was to provide end users with good practice guidance for using digestate based on clear and robust evidence and commercially tested methods of application.
- Using anaerobic digestate to establish reed canary grass energy crops over steel slag
- Using digestate as a component of soil manufacture
- Using digestate as a fertiliser in turf growing
- Using digestate as a sport and amenity turf fertiliser
- Using digestate to grow perennial grasses on brownfield land